Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout


 
 


 

 
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.


If I don't kill him first, that is.


My Thoughts

OMG, Obsidian is now my favorite book ever. It keeps you glued to the pages from beginning to end. If you didn't get the gist of it from the description at the top... There is this girl named Katy that moves to west Virginia in the middle of nowhere. The next door neighbor is a complete douch bag that has a beautiful face, beautiful body, and a horrible attitude. This book is sexy, and life altering. I recamend this book to anyone that like's paranormal or fantasy books.

            This book has kind of a Clary, Jace vibe from the Mortal Instruments series. He's good looking, has a bad attitude, and wants nothing to do with her. She can't stand him, but can't help thinking there is something more to it.

            Katy definitely has a heroine type vibe to her she always wants to help. Always tries to save her friends even if it means her life. Most of the time I hate the heroine. Jennifer was able to present her in such a way that she seems  really cool. Even if this book wasn't written by an amazing authore in terms of sentence to sentence , the plot and characters are just to good.
Jennifer was able to twist the usual alien store of little green men with spiny arms to something hot, exciting, and thrilling. I give this book five stars without hesitation.


Teasers

Eyes still on me, he tipped his desk forward even further " Guess what?"

What?"
"I checked out your blog."

Oh. Dear. Baby. Jesus. How did he find it? Wait. More importantly was the fact that he had found it. Was my blog now googleable? That was awesome sauce with an extra heaping of sauce. "Stalking me again, I see. Do I need to get a
restraining order?"
"In your dreams, kitten." He smirked. "Oh wait, I'm already starring in those, too aren't I?

***

 Run. The voice came in my head. Run now, Kat. Don’t look back.
 Run! I threw the car door open and stumbled out."
 
***



"Hello," he said again, placing one hand on the doorframe as he leaned forward. "Are you capable of speaking?"

I sucked in a sharp breath and took a step back. A wave of embarrassment heated me face.

The boy lifted his arm, brushing back a wavy lock of hair on his forehead. He glanced over his shoulder, then back to me. "Going once..."

By the time I found my voice, I wanted to die. "I... was wondering....

 
Sorry I'm going to leave you with a bit of a cliff hanger
 


***

And he was shirtless.

"Doesn't he own a shirt?" I asked, grabbing a spade. "Unfortunately, I don't think so. Not even in the winter. He's always running around half dressed. She groaned. " It's disturbing that I have to see so much of his... skin. Yuck."

Yuck for her and hot damn for me.
 
***
 
"What? I'm not wearing a bathing suit."
"So?" He turned around, grinning. "You could almost strip down--"

***
 
 Before I could respond or even give thought to the fact that my ..........., our lips met.  My brain clicked off as my fingers dug through his sweater, and...and oh.  God, his kisses were deep, scorching my lips as his hands tightened on my waist, pulling me against him.
Daemon kissed like he was a man starving for water, taking long, breathless drafts.  His teeth caught my lower lip when he pulled away, only to come back for more

 ***
 The full contact of his body, flush against mine, sent my senses into chaotic overdrive. His tongue swept over mine as his fingers splayed across my cheeks. His hand slid down my side, gripping my hip as he urged me closer. The kisses slowed and his chest rose as he drank me in.
With one last lingering exploration, he lifted his head and smiled down at me.
My heart skipped a beat as he hovered over me with an expression that tugged deep in my chest.
He moved his fingers back up, along my cheek, trailing an invisible path to my chin.
“I didn’t move that chair, Kitten.”
“I know.”
“I’m assuming you didn’t like where it was?”
 “It was in your way,” I said.
My hands were still curled around his arms.
“I can see that.”
Daemon smoothed a fingertip over the curve of my bottom lip before taking my hand, pulling me up. Letting go, he watched me carefully and waited. Waited for…

 ***The full contact of his body, flush against mine, sent my senses into chaotic overdrive. His tongue swept over mine as his fingers splayed across my cheeks. His hand slid down my side, gripping my hip as he urged me closer. The kisses slowed and his chest rose as he drank me in.
With one last lingering exploration, he lifted his head and smiled down at me.
My heart skipped a beat as he hovered over me with an expression that tugged deep in my chest.
He moved his fingers back up, along my cheek, trailing an invisible path to my chin.
“I didn’t move that chair, Kitten.”
“I know.”
“I’m assuming you didn’t like where it was?”
 “It was in your way,” I said.
My hands were still curled around his arms.
“I can see that.”
Daemon smoothed a fingertip over the curve of my bottom lip before taking my hand, pulling me up. Letting go, he watched me carefully and waited. Waited for…

 ***

 That was it.
The lump in my throat was back, but there was no stopping it this time.
Jumping from the couch, I raced out of the room. Tears formed,then slid down my cheeks. Emotion clogged my throat as I wiped under my eyes.
Daemon appeared in front of me, blocking the staircase. His eyes were wide, pupils luminous. I tried to turn away, but he quickly enveloped me in his strong arms.
“I didn’t do this to make you cry, Kat.”
“I know,” I sniffled. “It’s just …”
“It’s just what?”
He cupped my cheeks, his thumbs brushing away the tears.
My skin tingled from the contact.
“Kitten?”

 ***

 'Kat.' He shook his head, his voice a soft denial.
'It doesn’t matter.' I took a deep breath.
'Can we just forget this? Please?'
Daemon smoothed a finger over his brow.
“I can’t forget this and neither can you.'

 ***

"The longer one was because I couldn’t stop gushing. I think I had a new book boyfriend and his name was Tod."

***

His throat worked slowly. “Can I…?” There was a pause and my heart stuttered. “Can I just hold you? That’s all…that’s all I want.”


A knot formed in my throat and my chest tightened, cutting off my voice. I didn’t want him to leave, so I nodded.
Relief flickered across his stoic face, softening the hard lines, and then he walked around to his side, kicked off his shoes, and slid into bed beside me. He moved closer, extending an arm, and I went, curling against his body, my head nestled in the space between his shoulder and chest.
“I kind of like being your body pillow,” he admitted, a smile in his voice. “Even if you drool on me.”

***

I did not understand boys-especially alien boys.

***
 


 "I...I was wondering if you knew where the closest grocery store is. My name is Katy. I moved next door." She gestured to her house. "Like two days ago..."
"I know." I've been watching you for two days, like a stalker.